On the way there, I almost turned around 5 times. I purposefully took side streets instead of the highway so I could make a quick turn around to my safe place if I needed to. Finally, I did make it all the way there. I couldn't find a place to park. I should just leave. But, I circled the lot and parked the car. It was raining and I only had my Royals umbrella. That would be pretty embarrassing to walk in with a Royals umbrella. To make matters worse, it wasn't like a nice Royals umbrella. It was a cheapie one that I got at one of last years games where they give free crap away. I should just go. No, I decided to scamper in rain and all. Then I forgot I had on white pants. Oops, a little wet....I should go home and change. You are already here, just go in. A woman opened the door and asked if I was here for the Networking Party. I just smiled politely. I didn't answer, which means I didn't commit, let's get the hell out of here. Ok, fine...I forged ahead. I entered the sea of pant suits, half empty wine glasses, and no one under 40. Fuck.
I made my way through the crowd to where the name tag table should be. I spotted the table in the farthest corner of the room. Of course it was. Everyone was standing in little groups chatting, laughing, networking. They were all very corporate and professional-ish. I stuck out like a sore thumb. Some angry mid-40ish woman gave me the stink eye. Just run, you idiot. I head to the name tag table, make my approach, pausing only slightly, and bypassed it heading straight for the bathroom. Uh, I can't believe I just did that. I'm like a fat kid at the junior high dance hiding in the bathroom. I'm an Outsider like Ponyboy. I stood in the bathroom listening to the networky chatter and rustle of pantyhose for about 2 minutes. I can't do this. I hate this. It is just gross. I have to leave. Then, I planned my escape. I would slip out the bathroom, take the long way around, and run out the front door. I took several deep breaths and then bolted. Don't make eye contact, don't make eye contact. Run Ponyboy, Run! I was almost to the door and the same girl that let me in felt the need to open the door and let me out. She gave me a snarky look, but I still got the hell out of there. Eff her. At least I am heading home to put on sweatpants. You are stuck here with these cheeseballs all night. I hauled ass to the car and peeled out of the parking lot.
This is conclusion I have come to: Looking for a job this way sucks. It is not for me. Events like this lack sincerity and authenticity. Most people do not like to be out of their comfort zone. Most people like to surround themselves with like individuals. I don't love either scenario, but I will do it. I just cannot stand to be fake. I didn't want to be there to begin with and when I got there, it was worse than I had imagined. I shouldn't be so judgemental, I am sure there were plenty of nice people there. People my parents age wearing open toed shoes with pantyhose. It's just not for me.

next time, call me. i would have talked you out of it quickly. i probably would have turned around at the door opener woman, but you are strong to even go inside that foul place. this recruiting thing sounds depressing and gross, i just don't believe that it has to be that way. it just seems that everyone at one of those things is out for something else. it just seems fake.
ReplyDeleteyou are 100 times better than that. never go back to one of those! unless you take me and we can drink them out of wine and make fun of them openly.