My husband and I made a list of things we could and could not live without. We set a budget and are doing really well with sticking to it. Here are a few luxury items I am giving up and my thoughts on the matter:
1. Getting Coffee - I've agreed to trade my IV drip of Starbucks for making coffee at home. Even though I buy Starbucks brand coffee at the grocery store, it is not the same. Even if you follow the directions to a t, so not the same. I should support local coffee shops more (and believe me, I do not caffeine discriminate), but it's something about the Bux that I love. I love the smell when you walk in and how they write your name on the cup and how it is the morning social scene. Ahhhh. Ok, back to my broke ass reality. I am allowing myself coffee out once a week. For someone so obsessed with coffee, this is really tough. Oh how I miss you.....Nonfat no foam extra shot latte. And you grande unsweetened iced (or hot) green tea. And most of all you, little nonfat sugar free iced vanilla latte. I can't wait until we are reunited again like Peaches and Herb. You had me at hello.
2. Eating lunch out - When I was working, I was most likely taking someone to lunch on the company at least 3 times a week. I miss this. Thumbs down to Lean Cuisine. You are not the same.
3. $200 Jeans - My former job had a uniform that consisted of this: Good jeans, good T's or cute tops, flip flops. And in the winter time, I'd throw a good fleece and boots into the mix. I've had to take inventory in my closet and have come to the conclusion that I am an early thirties chick with the closet of a 22 year old. I have no big kid clothes. I have 2 suits. One is from 2005 and the other I am pretty sure my mom bought me when I graduated college. I have 2 pairs of pants. I can't apologize for it. I am in a love affair with jeans. And for me, I'd rather spend over $100 on a great pair that fits well and will last a long time as opposed to a cheap pair that stretches out and look like mom jeans. Sorry Nordstrom, we'll be breaking up for a while. Don't worry, we'll get back together soon. Though it won't be the same and you'll probably resent me for cheating on you with the Gap.
4. BlackBerry - Screw the iPhone, I am a BB lover. My old BB went back to the company and with my new sell-your-soul-for-a-two-year-agreement signed with AT&T, I had to get a new phone. I was in the store for over an hour trying to manipulate the kid working there into giving me a BB for $50 instead of the $300 pricetag on it. Needless to say I left with a BB impostor, the Samsung something-or-other. It is so not the same. Goodbye for now little BB, parting is such sweet sorrow.
5. Pedicures - I haven't done these myself for 5 years or so and went about every 3 weeks to get my toes 'did'. Doing them yourself is not remotely the same. I miss the my little Asian ladies and their overly personal questions about reproduction, children, and marriage.
6. Brows - I've seen the same woman to have my brows waxed for the last 7 years. I love her. She is fantastic. I think I may have to make another sacrifice to be back on her roster. Plucking is for sucks.
7. Shopping - I love to shop. That is an understatement. I LUV to shop. Shopping of any kind is fun for me. I can get excited about shopping for fertilizer. I also spend too much money on unnecessary crap. Like, "oh, I really need this candle". Need being my new choice word. Do I really need that? Odds are, my life will continue sans candle.
8. Booze - We are not total lushes, but we do like a quality cocktail. I've stepped my wine choices back to $11 or less a bottle. The beer is temporarily being traded for Miller Light in a can (with a growler or a import 6 pack thrown in from time to time). It's fine. Please come to my rescue if you ever hear me mentioning that we mixed up a batch of Scope and sodas.
9. TV - Cable is expensive. We talked about cutting back on movie channels and other stuff and just going bare bones. I can't do it. I love tv. I hate when people say all high and mighty "Oh, I don't watch tv". You are lying. Everyone watches tv. I probably sit down to watch 1 - 2 hours a day, so it's not like I am lounging around in my pj's all day watching soaps. Although I must say, since I've been home during the day, I've reconnected with some old friends in the town of Salem. Bo, Sammi, Victor Kiriakas....I don't care if anyone makes fun of me, it's great to see you again. The Days of your Lives are still going well. We are keeping the cable.
While all of these things make me seem selfish and spoiled, it was a life that I grew into over time. We never budgeted before. We aren't really savers. Probably because it's all being spent on jeans and candles. I've been forced to take a long hard look at what really matters. We like nice things and I can't apologize for that. It shouldn't, however, define you or your life. While I am wildly sarcastic as usual, I am making the changes that I should have made a long time ago. It does suck to give up luxury items. But then you are reminded of all of the wonderful things you have in life that really matter. And how blessed you are to even have a coffee maker, a tv, clothes in the closet. To think, in some countries they've never even seen Days of our Lives. That is the real tragedy.

No comments:
Post a Comment