I love to people watch. Love is probably an understatement. I think that's what drew me to being a psych major. More than just observing, I love to figure people out. Sometimes, I am pretty good at it. Other times, I miss the mark. There is one species that has eluded me forever. The WT. I don't think the classification of WT has anything to do with how much money you make, where you live, or what you do for a living. It's all about your attitude and how you treat others. Ok, and if you throw in a loony toons jacket or an Ed Hardy shirt, you may just get lumped in by default.
So, we are on the plane from KC to Houston on Monday and this total WT family is sitting behind us. I recognized them immediately from the gate bc they were making a spectacle of themselves. They are the kind of people that throw a fit when the security guard tells them they need to take off their shoes, but tell you they are a world traveler. To set the scene: we are in the third from the last row, they are behind us, and then a mom traveling alone with her 4 year old are in the last row ala Rosa Parks. They come in and can't figure out where to put their overhead belongings. And immediately start bitching. Oh, and 2 of them still have their sunglasses on and proceed to leave them on the whole time. In case someone was wondering if they were a celebrity, the glasses would be the tell tale sign. And I have seen a ton of celebs in Us Weekly wearing oversized Tommy Girl sweatshirts with stains on them and white crosstrainers. So, it is entirely possible.
We take off and as soon as the beverage cart comes around, they are ordering up bloody marys and rum and diet cokes. They kind of smelled hungover to begin with, so this was a quick ticket to drunky town. The ring leader WT asks the flight attendant for headphones. And it goes like this:
"Sorry maam, but we don't have any headphones on this flight"
"Yes you do, give me some headphones"
"No, I am sorry, we are all out"
"No you are not, i know there is at least one pair of headphones on this plane"
"There really aren't."
"You need to go check. I know there are. That is the only reason I booked this airline is for the headphones"
Here's where i become more interested. Lady, are you fucking kidding me? You base your travel choices on a $1 pair of headphones. And there were no tv monitors, so all she could do was listen to the airline music.
She started throwing a fit. The FA had to sit down bc we were taking off, but this woman bitched for 20 minutes. When the FA came back, she was still harrassing her. She had to get another FA to tell her that they didn't have any bc she wouldn't beleive the first one. So then the real drama starts. The 4 year old kid sitting behind her starts to fuss. And she loses it. She starts yelling that she wants to move seats so she does't have some damn kid screaming the whole time. And this airline sucks bc she needs these headphones now more than ever. All the while wearing her orange sunglasses, it was pretty hard to take her seriously. Her bloody mary breath didn't help matters either.
She finally calmed down, but I really thought for a minute they were going to kick her off the plane. If you are really that concerned about the headphones, you should buy a pair to take with you. They are seriously $1. At the end of the flight she apologized to the FA who faked an 'apology accepted'. We were walking behind her after the flight and she was totally ripping on them. We walked behind the WT crew for a while and then lost them, later to see them in the smoke filled glass room aka The Smoking Box. Of course, I was shocked to see she was a heavy smoker. That's the thing about WT that gets me. It's their sense of entitlement. Who says that anyone owes you anything? Just because this chick works on an airline that you picked to fly (bc of the headphones) doesn't mean she has to tolerate your abuse. What's the old saying, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar? She really should know better. While I was appauled at her attitude, I thank her for a good laugh and some entertainment. I'm sure they've moved on to harrass the staff at their Cancun resort. Who knows, maybe they'll get the star treatment that they think deserve. And maybe they'll finally be mistaken for a celeb. Wearing orange sunglasses, a Looney Toons swimsuit, and chain smoking by the pool. Stranger things have happended.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment